Vice President, Discovery Research
Codiak is the leader in the emerging field of exosome therapeutics, working to harness the power of this cellular messenger system to create potentially life-changing medicines. A venture-backed startup founded in 2015, Codiak has rapidly built a proprietary technology platform for exosome engineering and manufacturing that allows for precise targeting of important molecular pathways, opening the door to the development of therapies for cancer and other diseases. Led by an experienced and dedicated team, Codiak has at its foundation a positive and collaborative culture that is deeply rooted in cutting edge science and promotes opportunity for growth.
Codiak is recruiting for a Vice President of Discovery Research to join a highly dynamic and collaborative team. Reporting to the EVP of Research & Development, the successful candidate will be responsible for using cutting-edge molecular biology and protein engineering technology to develop and implement exosome engineering strategies essential for advancing multiple therapeutic programs. This leadership position will afford the qualified candidate an opportunity to contribute to an innovative platform technology and help achieve Codiak’s vision of bringing a stream of new medicines to patients.
- • Provide scientific leadership and technical guidance to Codiak’s Discovery Research function.
- • Develop and set the strategy for Discovery Research, aligning capabilities and technologies with overall company objectives.
- • Collaborates with R&D and Process Development leadership to ensure that Discovery focus areas and prioritization are aligned with R&D and company objectives.
- • Evaluate and implement novel protein and exosome engineering technologies.
- • Communicates strategies, data, priorities and results across the organization.
- • Initiate, maintain and manage external research relationships with academic and/or commercial partners.
- • Provide leadership and support to senior scientists responsible for developing expression constructs and engineering cell lines to produce exosomes with desired therapeutic properties.
- • Oversee and contribute to development of methodologies required for engineering, research scale purification, and biochemical characterization of engineered exosomes.
- • Provide scientific and technical mentoring to Scientists and Research Associates.
- • Collaborate with R&D leadership to ensure exosome products meet therapeutic target needs.
- • Identify, support and manage talent; provide real-time feedback to direct reports for performance management and career development.
- • Regularly communicate results to project teams and senior leadership; prepare presentations, reports, patent filings and external communications as required.
- • PhD in molecular biology, biochemistry, biophysics, protein engineering or a related discipline.
- • 15+ years of experience post PhD, including at least 5 years of experience in an industry setting
- • Demonstrated record of success with strong publication record.
- • Strong experience with molecular biology techniques, including molecular cloning, genome editing (CRISPR/Cas9), protein expression and purification, gene therapy technologies, mammalian cell culture, flow cytometry and next generation sequencing.
- • Self-starter and strategic thinker with a demonstrated ability to drive innovation.
- • Leading a project to completion or championing a technology initiative is preferred.
- • Clear communication skills in writing and presentation is required.
- • Team oriented, highly motivated, execution focused with strong work ethic, ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial and multidisciplinary environment.
- • Flexible, collaborative and responsive to scientific, technical and business opportunities and needs.
Compensation & Benefits
Codiak provides competitive compensation and benefits package that support and reward the contributions of each member of the team.
Apply TodayThose interested in joining the team effort at Codiak BioSciences to advance the nascent and exciting field of exosome technology into therapeutics with transformative potential are invited to email their CV.
Recent discoveries have demonstrated that exosomes derived from normal cells can act as a potent and safe delivery system for multiple therapeutic payloads. These small vesicles, which leave cells and travel throughout the body, can mediate dramatic effects in animal models of disease.
We are developing a broad platform for the delivery of macromolecules to the cytoplasm of diverse cells and tissues, to create a proprietary pipeline of novel, targeted medicines for diseases with high unmet medical need. The company’s technology exploits the natural propensity of exosomes to transmit macromolecule payloads between cells to create a pipeline of drugs across a broad range of diseases, including those associated with currently “undruggable” targets. While our initial focus is on oncology/immuno-oncology, this approach also offers significant potential in hematology, neurology and gene therapy and other therapy areas.
We are now producing drug candidate exosomes using the engExTM platform, our novel therapeutic engine for exosomes. We tailor exosomes to express molecules on their surfaces and/or deliver specific cargo inside. This affords us the flexibility for designing proprietary drug candidates; exosomes can be mixed and matched into rational and targeted combinations with the potential for a broad therapeutic platform.
As of December 2017, Codiak has raised a combined $168.5M in Series A-C financing. The company maintains partnerships with academic exosome labs and has multiple paths to clinical and commercial success through the breadth of the company’s research, strength of its IP position and proprietary innovation behind its production capabilities.
Codiak’s CEO and first employee Doug Williams, Ph.D., (former EVP of Biogen R&D, CEO of ZymoGenetics) espouses the belief that inspired employees create great science. Employees treat the company as if it was their own and report that there is “direct and respectful communication,” and “trust that teammates will do the right thing and never compromise integrity.”
Named one of 11 disruptive startups “on a do-or-die mission to launch new meds” by Endpoints News in January 2018, Codiak is in the heart of Boston’s biotechnology hub at 500 Technology Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Codiak BioSciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status.