Scientist I, Protein Sciences
Codiak is the leader in the emerging field of exosome therapeutics, working to harness the power of this cellular messenger system to create potentially life-changing medicines. A venture-backed startup founded in 2015, Codiak has rapidly built a proprietary technology platform for exosome engineering and manufacturing that allows for precise targeting of important molecular pathways, opening the door to the development of therapies for cancer and other diseases. Led by an experienced and dedicated team, Codiak has at its foundation a positive and collaborative culture that is deeply rooted in cutting edge science and promotes opportunity for growth.
Codiak is seeking a qualified scientist to join our growing Research organization and contribute to the development of the company’s innovative exosome engineering platform. The successful candidate will help lead efforts toward the discovery and optimization of exosome-based therapeutics with the goal of delivering medicines to patients with significant unmet medical need. The position will afford the qualified candidate the opportunity to work alongside a highly dynamic and collaborative team to develop an entirely new therapeutic modality.
- • Implement cutting-edge cellular/protein engineering technologies and structural biology principles to further expand our platform approach for creating therapeutic exosomes;
- • Produce, purify, and characterize engineered exosomes from conditioned cell culture medium;
- • Develop and execute biochemical and cell-based assays to validate target and pathway engagement of therapeutic exosomes;
- • Design, express, and purify recombinant proteins, including antibodies, enzymes, and fusion proteins, at the milligram scale to support assay development for ongoing projects;
- • Collaborate closely with Molecular Biology and Translational Biology teams to identify lead candidates for preclinical development;
- • Cultivate and maintain an in-depth knowledge of exosome biology and engineering;
- • Actively participate in project teams, contribute to reports, patent applications, and regulatory filings;
- • Effectively communicate findings to the organization at internal meetings and to the broader scientific community through authorship of manuscripts and conference proceedings.
- Education requirements:
- • PhD or equivalent degree in biochemistry, bioengineering, biology, or similar discipline;
- • 1-2 years post-PhD experience would be desirable.
- Skills and expertise:
- • Passionate about scientific discovery, self-motivated, and eager to learn new skills and contribute to the success of the organization;
- • Exceptional communication skills and the ability to thrive in an interdependent and idea-rich environment;
- • Capability to design and execute thoughtful experiments, troubleshoot, and implement innovative solutions with minimal supervision;
- • Hands-on experience with mammalian adherent and suspension-adapted cell culture from small to medium scale (50 mL - 1 L);
- • Familiarity with transient and stable transfection of mammalian cells using random and targeted integration methods for protein expression and establishment of stable cell lines;
- • Experience with preparative scale protein purification via IEX, SEC, and affinity chromatography;
- • Extensive experience with protein and cellular characterization methods including flow cytometry, Western blotting, immunoprecipitation, ELISA, ligand binding assays, etc.;
Compensation & Benefits
Codiak provides competitive compensation and benefits package that support and reward the contributions of each member of the team.
Apply TodayThose interested in joining the team effort at Codiak BioSciences to advance the nascent and exciting field of exosome technology into therapeutics with transformative potential are invited to email their CV.
Recent discoveries have demonstrated that exosomes derived from normal cells can act as a potent and safe delivery system for multiple therapeutic payloads. These small vesicles, which leave cells and travel throughout the body, can mediate dramatic effects in animal models of disease.
We are developing a broad platform for the delivery of macromolecules to the cytoplasm of diverse cells and tissues, to create a proprietary pipeline of novel, targeted medicines for diseases with high unmet medical need. The company’s technology exploits the natural propensity of exosomes to transmit macromolecule payloads between cells to create a pipeline of drugs across a broad range of diseases, including those associated with currently “undruggable” targets. While our initial focus is on oncology/immuno-oncology, this approach also offers significant potential in hematology, neurology and gene therapy and other therapy areas.
We are now producing drug candidate exosomes using the engExTM platform, our novel therapeutic engine for exosomes. We tailor exosomes to express molecules on their surfaces and/or deliver specific cargo inside. This affords us the flexibility for designing proprietary drug candidates; exosomes can be mixed and matched into rational and targeted combinations with the potential for a broad therapeutic platform.
As of December 2017, Codiak has raised a combined $168.5M in Series A-C financing. The company maintains partnerships with academic exosome labs and has multiple paths to clinical and commercial success through the breadth of the company’s research, strength of its IP position and proprietary innovation behind its production capabilities.
Codiak’s CEO and first employee Doug Williams, Ph.D., (former EVP of Biogen R&D, CEO of ZymoGenetics) espouses the belief that inspired employees create great science. Employees treat the company as if it was their own and report that there is “direct and respectful communication,” and “trust that teammates will do the right thing and never compromise integrity.”
Named one of 11 disruptive startups “on a do-or-die mission to launch new meds” by Endpoints News in January 2018, Codiak is in the heart of Boston’s biotechnology hub at 500 Technology Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Codiak BioSciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status.