Principal Research Associate/Scientist I Downstream Process Development
Codiak is the leader in the emerging field of exosome therapeutics, working to harness the power of this cellular messenger system to create potentially life-changing medicines. A venture-backed startup founded in 2015, Codiak has rapidly built a proprietary technology platform for exosome engineering and manufacturing that allows for precise targeting of important molecular pathways, opening the door to the development of therapies for cancer and other diseases. Led by an experienced and dedicated team, Codiak has at its foundation a positive and collaborative culture that is deeply rooted in cutting edge science and promotes opportunity for growth.
The scientist will execute and further optimize the company’s novel exosome purification platform which will require strong technical expertise and leadership in all areas of downstream processing such as filtration, centrifugation, chromatography, high throughput technology, and formulation. Additional responsibilities will include assisting in the development and scale up of processes for the ex vivo loading of payloads into exosomes. The successful candidate will be highly motivated, thrive on increasing levels of responsibility and leadership, and have a demonstrated capability to operate autonomously in a fast-paced environment. This position will report to the Associate Director in Downstream Processing.
- • Assist in the development and implementation of purification processes;
- • Scale-up from bench to pilot and cGMP clinical manufacturing scale, including technology transfer through clinical manufacturing;
- • Establish state-of-the-art scale-down model and capabilities, including expansion of high throughput screening approaches;
- • Work collaboratively with Upstream, Analytics and Research groups to deepen process knowledge and structure-activity relationships;
- • Develop and implement scalable loading and cleanup processes for diverse molecules, including but not limited to RNA and small molecules;
- • Resolve technical problems through deep scientific understanding, creative options assessment, and application of innovative solutions;
- • Perform document writing, including SOPs, data interpretation, presentation, statistical analysis and trending;
- • Participate and drive decision-making within the project team by actively engaging in scientific and technical discussions;
- • Author scientific manuscripts and patents. Present work internally and externally;
- • Aid in the authoring of regulatory documents.
- • Advanced experience in downstream process development, preferably with viral vectors or nanoparticles; Experience as part of a team transitioning viral vector programs through clinical development would be advantageous
- • Experience in development and transfer of production processes for viral vectors or nanoparticles to cGMP manufacturing organizations;
- • Background in applying advanced technologies to load payloads into nanoparticles;
- • Degree in biochemistry, biochemical engineering or similar disciplines with 5-12 years relevant industrial experience;
- • With minimal supervision, demonstrated capability to troubleshoot, design/execute thoughtful experiments, and implement innovative solutions.
- • Strong work ethic with capability to work independently and in a collaborative environment;
- • Excellent communication and presentation skills (oral and written);
Compensation & Benefits
Codiak provides competitive compensation and benefits package that support and reward the contributions of each member of the team.
Apply TodayThose interested in joining the team effort at Codiak BioSciences to advance the nascent and exciting field of exosome technology into therapeutics with transformative potential are invited to email their CV.
Recent discoveries have demonstrated that exosomes derived from normal cells can act as a potent and safe delivery system for multiple therapeutic payloads. These small vesicles, which leave cells and travel throughout the body, can mediate dramatic effects in animal models of disease.
We are developing a broad platform for the delivery of macromolecules to the cytoplasm of diverse cells and tissues, to create a proprietary pipeline of novel, targeted medicines for diseases with high unmet medical need. The company’s technology exploits the natural propensity of exosomes to transmit macromolecule payloads between cells to create a pipeline of drugs across a broad range of diseases, including those associated with currently “undruggable” targets. While our initial focus is on oncology/immuno-oncology, this approach also offers significant potential in hematology, neurology and gene therapy and other therapy areas.
We are now producing drug candidate exosomes using the engExTM platform, our novel therapeutic engine for exosomes. We tailor exosomes to express molecules on their surfaces and/or deliver specific cargo inside. This affords us the flexibility for designing proprietary drug candidates; exosomes can be mixed and matched into rational and targeted combinations with the potential for a broad therapeutic platform.
As of December 2017, Codiak has raised a combined $168.5M in Series A-C financing. The company maintains partnerships with academic exosome labs and has multiple paths to clinical and commercial success through the breadth of the company’s research, strength of its IP position and proprietary innovation behind its production capabilities.
Codiak’s CEO and first employee Doug Williams, Ph.D., (former EVP of Biogen R&D, CEO of ZymoGenetics) espouses the belief that inspired employees create great science. Employees treat the company as if it was their own and report that there is “direct and respectful communication,” and “trust that teammates will do the right thing and never compromise integrity.”
Named one of 11 disruptive startups “on a do-or-die mission to launch new meds” by Endpoints News in January 2018, Codiak is in the heart of Boston’s biotechnology hub at 500 Technology Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Codiak BioSciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status.