Associate Scientist II, Process Analytics
Codiak is the leader in the emerging field of exosome therapeutics, working to harness the power of this cellular messenger system to create potentially life-changing medicines. A venture-backed startup founded in 2015, Codiak has rapidly built a proprietary technology platform for exosome engineering and manufacturing that allows for precise targeting of important molecular pathways, opening the door to the development of therapies for cancer and other diseases. Led by an experienced and dedicated team, Codiak has at its foundation a positive and collaborative culture that is deeply rooted in cutting edge science and promotes opportunity for growth.
We are looking for an experienced analytical and/or bioorganic chemist with broad knowledge of and significant hands-on experience with biological molecules and/or bioanalytical technologies, including: chromatographic, mass spectrometry, and other biophysical characterization methods. This individual will plan, develop, and execute experiments for the physicochemical analysis and structural characterization of biological molecules including lipids and/or glycans to support the development of a novel platform focused on exosome biotherapeutics. Responsibilities will include working in an analytical laboratory and applying an array of diverse analytical methodologies. A background in Chemistry/Biochemistry and Bio analytics is needed. Understanding of pharmaceutical manufacturing and/or exosome biology and characterization is a plus. This is a unique opportunity to contribute experimentally, as well as intellectually, to the process development of a novel exosome production platform. As part of a start-up, the candidate will be uniquely exposed to the full range of company activities.
- - Evaluate physicochemical properties of biological molecules including lipids, proteins, and/ or glycans relevant to drug development and subsequently interpret and communicate results;
- - Develop analytical methods for biomolecules and characterize product variants;
- - Providing technical/experimental hands-on support to enable process development;
- - Implementation of chemical and physical methods for biomolecule characterization, including chromatography, spectroscopy, mass spectrometry, and additional experience in DLS, CEX/AEX, and NMR is encouraged;
- - Interface with external CROs and CMOs in support of technology transfer for analytical procedures related to release and stability testing of drug substances and drug products;
- - Ability to work independently and a positive attitude toward collaborative work with other scientific staff internally as well as externally; self-motivated and adaptive;
- - Maintain a strong awareness of current scientific literature, particularly in drug substance characterization, and actively apply new concepts as appropriate.
- - Other duties as required.
- The candidate will have a BSc or MSc in chemistry, biochemistry or a similar discipline with 4+ years of both industrial and/or academic experience. Hands on experience with analysis of biological molecules using diverse analytical technologies, such as chromatography and mass spectrometry is expected. The knowledge of other physical and chemical methods is a plus. The successful candidate will work under a supervision of an experienced analytical scientist; as well, the ability to work well independently is needed. An ability to work efficiently in a dynamic environment, plan, design and execute experiment in a timely manner and report the results in an organized fashion is critical. Additional qualifications include computer literacy, and excellent interpersonal skills.
Compensation & Benefits
Codiak provides competitive compensation and benefits package that support and reward the contributions of each member of the team.
Apply TodayThose interested in joining the team effort at Codiak BioSciences to advance the nascent and exciting field of exosome technology into therapeutics with transformative potential are invited to email their CV.
Recent discoveries have demonstrated that exosomes derived from normal cells can act as a potent and safe delivery system for multiple therapeutic payloads. These small vesicles, which leave cells and travel throughout the body, can mediate dramatic effects in animal models of disease.
We are developing a broad platform for the delivery of macromolecules to the cytoplasm of diverse cells and tissues, to create a proprietary pipeline of novel, targeted medicines for diseases with high unmet medical need. The company’s technology exploits the natural propensity of exosomes to transmit macromolecule payloads between cells to create a pipeline of drugs across a broad range of diseases, including those associated with currently “undruggable” targets. While our initial focus is on oncology/immuno-oncology, this approach also offers significant potential in hematology, neurology and gene therapy and other therapy areas.
We are now producing drug candidate exosomes using the engExTM platform, our novel therapeutic engine for exosomes. We tailor exosomes to express molecules on their surfaces and/or deliver specific cargo inside. This affords us the flexibility for designing proprietary drug candidates; exosomes can be mixed and matched into rational and targeted combinations with the potential for a broad therapeutic platform.
As of December 2017, Codiak has raised a combined $168.5M in Series A-C financing. The company maintains partnerships with academic exosome labs and has multiple paths to clinical and commercial success through the breadth of the company’s research, strength of its IP position and proprietary innovation behind its production capabilities.
Codiak’s CEO and first employee Doug Williams, Ph.D., (former EVP of Biogen R&D, CEO of ZymoGenetics) espouses the belief that inspired employees create great science. Employees treat the company as if it was their own and report that there is “direct and respectful communication,” and “trust that teammates will do the right thing and never compromise integrity.”
Named one of 11 disruptive startups “on a do-or-die mission to launch new meds” by Endpoints News in January 2018, Codiak is in the heart of Boston’s biotechnology hub at 500 Technology Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Codiak BioSciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status.